Monday, January 31, 2011

Pronto Soup du Jour!

It's official. I'm on a soup kick. (So you may see a few more soups du jour this week!) Really, soup was just the best option tonight because I spent half the weekend sick and bedridden. Now that I'm back on my feet, Bill didn't waste any time asking, "So ... are you cooking tonight?" To feed his appetite and get some decent food in my stomach, cream of chicken and rice soup sounded like a good idea.

This recipe is the perfect example of how something so, so simple can be so, so satisfying (and surprisingly fast)!

Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup
Ingredients:
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup rice (original recipe calls for wild, but I used long grain white)
1/4 cup butter
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked, cubed chicken

Directions:
Heat rice and 2 cups chicken broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.

Melt butter in a large pot. Add carrot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add onion and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 3 or 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and whisk in flour, salt and pepper.

Slowly stir in remaining 3 cups broth and bring to a boil. Stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Add chicken and rice and heat a few minutes more until heated through.


Whoever said making soup was an all day thing was so wrong. This was just about the easiest pot ever. I didn't even start with cooked chicken (I poached and then diced two breasts that were in the freezer) and this was done in half an hour. I'd say it's a fast, easy and delicious way to warm up your belly before the blizzard that's headed our way :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Can you deliver some please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'll make a double batch and be sure to save half for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need more cold weather over here. This is reason enough!

    ReplyDelete