Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Food as Therapy

I didn't cook tonight because Bill already had dinner started when I got home from work. That gesture was much appreciated, seeing as how I'm not fighting this cold very successfully. But he asked me if I was jealous that I didn't get to cook tonight and I had to think about it ... I said I wasn't but truth be told, I kind of am.

That's because cooking dinner is something I look forward to every night. It's the perfect way for me to unwind and end my day. It's almost therapuetic. Some people want to collapse in front of the TV, I want to hang out in the kitchen. Call me crazy, but there's something about it that relaxes me.

I understand that getting dinner on the table is a source of stress for a lot of people. I just feel fortunate not to be one of those people. I think it's because my approach to cooking is different. It's not about checking a meal off the list for the day. It's about having fun creating something delicious and then being lucky enough to consume it! Plus, there's the fact that nothing makes me happier than seeing Bill clear his plate :) He's a notoriously picky eater, so there's something super gratifying about seeing him enjoy a meal I cooked.

Oh, and if you're curious, Bill made another pot of Mario's basic tomato sauce tonight ... and served it with bucatini. If you haven't had bucatini, you should. It's quite possibly our new favorite type of pasta. It's essentially like spaghetti tubes (think straws through which you can slurp the sauce!). It's a mess to eat, but so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment