Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gimme Mo' Risotto

I was so excited by my success with risotto last week that I decided to give it another go tonight. Have you ever made an awesome meal, attempted it again and completely failed in replicating it's awesomeness? Yeah, that didn't happen to me tonight. If anything, this risotto was even better!

I concocted my own version of last week's recipe tonight. Let's call it "3 P Risotto." (Disclosure: most of the ingredient measurements are estimated. I eyeballed the majority of this recipe.)

Risotto with Prosciutto, Portabellas and Peas (3 P Risotto)
Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup Arborio rice
4 tablespoons butter, divided
Dash salt
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
3 thing slices prosciutto, cut into strips
1 cup baby portabella mushroom, sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring chicken broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep warm.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt and sautee until soft, about 5 minutes. Add risotto and cook, stirring often, until edges of rice become translucent. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been completely absorbed.

Add 1 cup chicken broth to risotto and cook, stirring occassionally, until liquid has been almost completely absorbed. Add additional chicken broth, one ladle at a time, stirring and simmering after each addition. Simmer until risotto is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in another skillet. Add prosciutto and cook until slightly crispy. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.

Remove risotto from heat and quickly stir in remaining tablespoon butter and parmesan cheese. Gently fold in prosciutto, mushrooms and peas. Return to heat, cover and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.


I seriously don't understand why I haven't been making risotto forever. Honestly, once you get the basic preparation down, the possibilities are endless. You can add just about any veggie or protein and have a practically gourmet meal in just half an hour.

Speaking of gourmet meals, you have to watch this video. Now, you all know that I LOVE my dogs, but filet mignon? Come on.

2 comments:

  1. THAT POOR DOG...!!! I love Victoria from that show, she tries so hard not to roll her eyes at some of these people haha!

    Do you ever make a bunch of one dish, like this one for example, and freeze it? Or does it not lend itself to that? Speaking of freezing, have you ever gone through the frozen isle at Trader Joe's and checked it out? I swear they have just about anything you could ever want in that store, healthy or not ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes freeze things, but usually soups and sauces. Certain other meals just don't taste the same when they're pulled out of the freezer and reheated. Plus, Bill has a weird aversion to leftovers, so I rarely make large portions of anything (which is why I love my "Cooking for Two" cookbook so much!). I also have this problem where stuff gets lost in my freezer ... and when I find it I have no recollection of when I made it!

    I need to make a trip to Trader Joe's. We only have one in our area and I rarely go because it's not close to home. At the very least, it's worth a trip for some Two Buck Chuck!

    ReplyDelete