Saturday, October 15, 2011

Super Soup: Chicken and Dumplings

I can feel a case of the soups coming on. It happens every year around this time ... the weather turns chilly and I'm suddenly compelled to make giants pots of soup in quantities large enough to feed an army. Never mind the fact that I'm just cooking for two. Soup is one of the only big-batch dishes I can make and never end up with leftovers. Bill and I love it that much.

Thursday night's supper (and it feels appropriate to call it that in true Southern fashion) may rank right up there with my favorites: Chicken and Dumplings. I have absolutely no recollection of the first time I had chicken and dumplings. You don't see it pop up on too many California menus and it's certainly not something my mom ever made. Maybe it wasn't until I moved to Wisconsin that I gave it a whirl. And even then, I'm sure I never tasted the real thing. But as far as imposters go, I think I've found a pretty good one.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to note that this particular recipe requires a few shortcuts I normally wouldn't take. But for a hearty weeknight meal, I'm sometimes willing to resort to cans and boxes.

Chicken and Dumplings
Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 cup onion, finely chopped 
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup marsala wine 
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 can reduced-fat, reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups baking mix (such as Bisquick)
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen peas

Directions:
Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add marsala, broth, and condensed soup. Bring to a boil.

In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch; stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine Bisquick and buttermilk. Stir until stiff dough forms; knead into a ball. Set aside.

Add chicken and carrots to pot. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Tear off 1-inch pieces of dough and drop into pot. Return to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken and dumplings are cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. (Test dumplings for doneness by removing one and piercing it with a fork - they're finished when the fork comes out clean.)

Add peas to pot and cook soup another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve piping hot in big bowls!

3 comments:

  1. This soup looks really yummy. Thanks for sharing it. Going to be making it asap. :) Have a fab day. Look forward to more delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy it, Rochelle! Let me know how you like it when you make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right.. I don't see chicken and dumplings that often here. Although, I probably don't go to Chinese restaurants nearly enough to. As for cans and boxes.. even the use of those can yield something great if the cook using them has a magic touch! ;)

    ReplyDelete