Sunday, October 2, 2011

Feels Like Fall: Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes

Fall has long been my favorite season. The crisp air, the changing leaves, the impending holidays ... I love everything about it! But as far as I'm concerned, the best part of fall is that pumpkin flavored everything comes back into season.

I honestly don't need an excuse to bake pumpkin treats - I'm willing to do it year-round! But when it begins feeling like fall, I finally return to my all-time favorite pumpkin recipe. I found these Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes online at Taste of Home a few years back and every time I make them they get rave reviews. This week Bill called them the best cupcakes he's ever tasted (granted, he has a short memory). But they are the most delectable pumpkin treat I've ever had. They're outrageously moist and the sweet, creamy filling is the perfect balance to the rich, spicy cake. I can't wait to break out more of my pumpkin recipes and keep the baking going!

Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes
Ingredients:
For Cupcakes
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice

For Filling
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
24 whole cloves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.

In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and allspice. Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and beat until well mixed.

Fill prepared cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

While cupcakes are baking, prepare cream filing. Combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter, and confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture until smooth.

Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-inch circle about 1-inch deep in each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon or pipe filling into cupcakes. Replace tops and add a clove "pumpkin stem" to each cupcake.

2 comments:

  1. I too love pumpkin like nobody's business. I have a jar of pumpkin pie spice that I try to put in just about anything I can think of. Sometimes the results are a bit..questionable lol. Nothing about these cupcakes look questionable though. And cream filled ANYTHING.. A+

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw in the Target ad today that their Archer Farms brand has a pumpkin pie flavored yogurt. Must. Try.

    ReplyDelete