Monday, March 19, 2012

Geek Over Greek

Perhaps it's because Bill is a fan of feta, or maybe it's the irresistible tomato-cucumber-red onion combination I love so much, but I totally geek out over Greek food. I've made yummy Greek salads, I've mastered my own homemade tzatziki, and most recently I stumbled upon this amazing chicken gyro that I put to the test.

Just look at it! The soft pita bread, all those fresh veggies, the salty cheese, the moist and flavorful chicken pieces ... who wouldn't want to take a giant bite of this gyro?! My ONLY complaint about this recipe is the sauce. I wasn't overly impressed with the simple tzatziki made with just yogurt and dill in the original recipe, so I attempted a hybrid with my mastered tzatziki (linked above). The addition of lemon juice and a pinch of salt helped, but I missed the cool cucumber flavor from my recipe. I'll make these gyros again, but next time with my own sauce.

Lemon Chicken Gyros
Ingredients:
For Gyros
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 flatbreads or pitas
Handful baby spinach leaves
1 tomato, diced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
For Sauce
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together oregano, thyme, garlic, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil. Add chicken, toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bowl and saute about 5 minutes per side, until no longer pink.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt and dill (i added a tablespoon of lemon juice and a hefty dose of salt). Wrap flatbreads in slightly damp paper towels and microwave 15 to 25 seconds to soften and warm.

On each flatbread, spread a thick layer of tzatziki. Top with spinach, tomatoes, red onion, and feta. Divide chicken between flatbreads. Serve!

1 comment:

  1. Count me in as a lover of the tomato, cucumber and red onion combo. And feta cheese too. I'm drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete