Monday, May 23, 2011

It's All Greek (Salad) to Me

We made a trip to Costco yesterday and I bought a giant tub of baby spinach leaves. I suppose I was inspired by that delicious spinach and bacon salad I made last week. But seriously, we have a LOT of spinach in the fridge so you can look forward to quite a few spinach-y recipes this week!

I served this alongside (cue laughter) sloppy joes tonight. Maybe we were in a nostalgic mood (because I don't think I've had a sloppy joe since elementary school), but they just sounded yummy. And they were! I won't post the recipe now, but I most likely will later this week. You know, on the off chance that one of my dozen loyal followers is also looking for a blast from the past!

Greek Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Ingredients:
2 big, loose handfuls baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
Small handful grape tomatoes
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)

Directions:
Layer spinach, cucumber, onion, tomatoes and feta in a medium bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Serve.

Lemon Vinaigrette
Ingredients:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Small handful fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until well-blended.


I apologize for being kind of loose-y goose-y with my salad measurements, but it really is that simple to just toss this together. Even the vinaigrette only takes a few seconds to make, and there's no tiresome whisking involved! The lemon vinaigrette is a recipe I found from Giada and it was AWESOME! I'm totally bringing the (non-tossed) leftovers to work tomorrow ... which is a good plan given how much spinach I have to use.

2 comments:

  1. Salad! I could eat this as a meal alone. Albeit a TON of it. Never had lemon vinaigrette, but I will now :)

    BTW, do you ever make anti pasto salad? Did I just miss that? It seems only natural seeing as how you're great at all things Italian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! I LOVE antipasto salad! I should make some soon. Actually, I have a recipe that's very similar to antipasto salad, but it's pizza pasta salad ... it has tri-colored rotini, mozzarella, pepperoni, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives and an Italian vinaigrette. It's delish!

    ReplyDelete