Monday, February 27, 2012

More Mexican

My reasons for loving Mexican food go far beyond margaritas. At least one other fantastic reason to love Mexican is because some recipes are so freskin' easy to prepare in a pinch. When it comes to tacos, quesadillas, and as I recently discovered, tostadas, deliciousness is seriously only minutes away.

I don't have a good reason why, but I've never been much of a tostada person. Must be because they're so tricky to eat (as Bill learned, they really do have to be parallel to your plate or you risk losing all of your toppings!). But when I came across this recipe for chicken and mushroom tostadas, I knew I had to give them a whirl. I switched them up a bit (flour vs. corn tortillas, queso fresco vs. manchego cheese, omitting the corn), but these were just as yummy as I'd figured they would be! In fact, I'm super stoked that I picked up this tortilla baking tip - I can think of infinite topping possibilities that will make super quick, super tasty dinner ideas!

Chicken and Mushroom Tostadas
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 6-inch flour tortillas
4 oz. mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil, place on rack, and bake until crisp and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.

Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and jalapenos, season with salt, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Top warm tortillas with chicken-mushroom mixture and crumble cheese on top. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and I agree that Mexican food is one of the best types of food out there!

    ReplyDelete