Saturday, February 18, 2012

Light is Right

If you're not already obsessed with Pinterest, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I resisted for a while, but gave in when my BFF started telling me about all of the fabulous recipes she was finding. Since then, I've wasted spent approximately 10,000 hours browsing boards, pinning, and repinning recipes like mad. It's fantastic.

The problem is, Pinterest must be populated primarily with fatties. Because every delicious recipe I find is so terribly bad for you. Homemade Twinkies? Homemade Peanut Butter Cups? Homemade Twix? Yes, please! But in moderation.

I felt like I was packing on the pounds just reading this recipes, and I haven't even worked up the courage to make any of them yet. So I'm determined now not to pin every fattening dish I feast my eyes on ... instead, I'm making a concerted effort to build a collection of lighter recipes, like this honey lime chicken that a fellow blogger adapted from Sunset magazine (based in the Bay - yay!). I thought a nice tossed salad with honey lime vinaigrette would make a perfect, light accompaniment. I adapted the vinaigrette recipe from one I found on Good Housekeeping's website and it's a keeper. Just the right balance of sweet and tangy and a cinch to make in a pinch!

Honey Lime Grilled Chicken
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top bag. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. Gently lay chicken breasts in pan. Grill 7 to 8 minutes per side or until a thermometer registers 165 degrees, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent chicken from charring.

Serve chicken alongside mixed greens with honey lime vinaigrette (recipe follows).

Honey Lime Vinaigrette
Ingredients:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, honey, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Who says "light" recipes aren't just as good! This is proof. I would snatch that plate just as fast as I would one piled with bbq and mac & cheese! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree with marinating it overnight. The acid in the limes will actually cook the chickena nd dry it out. When marinating with limes, lemons or any citrus you don't want to go any longer than 3 or 4 hours at most.

    ReplyDelete